Once upon a time there was a young man who turned to a wise man for help.
-I come, teacher, because I feel so little that I don't feel like doing anything. They tell me I don't serve, that I don't do anything right, that I'm clumsy and pretty stupid. How can I improve ? What can I do to be valued more?
The teacher, without looking at him, said: "I'm so sorry, boy." I can't help you because I have to fix my own problem first. May be after.... ". And, pausing, he added, "If you wanted to help me, I could solve this issue faster and then perhaps I can help you."
-And... enchanted, master -tweeted the young man, feeling that he was again devalued and his needs deferred.
-Well - continued the teacher. She took off a ring that was wearing on the pinky finger of her left hand and, giving it to the boy, added-: Take the horse that is out there and ride it to the market. I must sell this ring because I have to pay a debt. You need to get for him the highest sum possible, and not accept less than a coin of gold. Go and come back with that coin asap.
the_ring
The young man took the ring and left. As soon as he arrived at the market, he began offering the ring to merchants, who looked at it with some interest until the young man said what he was asking for it.
When the lad mentioned the gold coin, some laughed, others turned their faces and only an old man was kind enough to take the trouble of explaining to him that a gold coin was too valuable to give it in exchange for a ring. Eager to help, someone offered him a silver coin and a copper vessel, but the young man had instructions not to accept less than a gold coin and declined the offer.
After offering the jewel to all the people who came across him in the marketplace, there were more than a hundred, and cast down by his failure, he rode his horse and returned.
How much the young man would have wished to have a gold coin to give to the teacher and free him from his worry, so he could finally receive his advice and help.
He walked into the room.
– Master -said-, I'm sorry. It's not possible to get what you ask for. Maybe I could have gotten two or three silver coins, but I don't think I can trick anyone about the true value of the ring.
– What you have said is very important, young friend -smilingly replied the teacher-. We must first know the true value of the ring. Get back on your horse and go see the jeweler. Who better than him to know? Tell her you wish you could sell the ring and ask her how much she gives you for it. But no matter what he offers you: don't sell it. Come back here with my ring.
The young man is riding again.
The jeweler examined the ring in the candlelight, looked at it with his magnifying glass, weighed it and then told the boy:
– Tell the master, boy, that if he wants to sell it right away, I can't give him more than fifty eight gold coins for his ring.
– Fifty eight coins? -exclaimed the young man.
– Yes -replicated the jeweler-. I know eventually we could get for him about seventy coins, but if the sale is urgent..
The young man ran excitedly to his teacher's house to tell him what had happened.
– Sit down -said the teacher after listening-. You are like that ring: a jewel, precious and unique. And as such, only a true expert can evaluate you. Why do you go through life pretending that anyone will find out your true value?
And by saying this, he put the ring back on his left hand pinky finger.

Comments
Post a Comment
We can do better!