'He's the meanest fighter that ever lived. No one's more intimidating. Not even myself.' - Mike Tyson
'Liston compares favorably with any of the heavyweights of the past. Any of them. When somebody asks me, 'How does Liston compare with Joe Louis?' I have to stop and think. So you know how good a fighter Liston is.' - Cus D'Amato
'Liston was the biggest puncher I ever fought.' - Chuck Wepner
'Sonny Liston stood up to me and actually made me give ground. No one has ever done that to me before or since.' - George Foreman
'If you got hit with that right hand, you wouldn't get up.' - Floyd Patterson
'Possibly the greatest left jab in the history of the heavyweight division. That left jab could go through brick walls.' - Bert Sugar
'Liston could scowl as hard as any man in or out of the ring. And, of course, he invented the big stare.' - Joe Louis
'I boxed heavyweights for four years till I realized Sonny Liston wasn't my cup of tea. When I saw him come on the scene, I said I'm going to get back down where I belong.' - Willie Pastrano
'When you got hit by Sonny Liston's jab, it felt like you were getting hit with a telephone pole.' - Ray Schoeninger
'Nobody hit those bags like Sonny. He tore bags up. He could turn that hook, put everything behind it. Turn and snap. Bam! Why, he could knock you across the room with a jab. I saw him knock guys out with a straight jab. Bam! In the ring, Sonny was a killing machine.' - Johnny Tocco
'When Sonny gave you the evil eye - I don't care who you were - you shrunk to two feet tall. And one thing more; he could fight like hell. They forget it now, but when Liston was champ, some people thought he was the greatest heavyweight of all time.' - Harold Conrad

Comments
Post a Comment
We can do better!