At 69 years old Dinah Riddiford was most probably the oldest female to be executed in the UK. She and her son, Luke, had been convicted at the Gloucestershire Summer Assizes, before Mr. Justice Abbot on August 1816 in the brand new Shire Hall courthouse of stealing two sides of bacon, two pig’s cheeks, a piece of tongue, a pat of butter in an earthenware pot and a copper tea kettle.
The crime took place at house at St. Briavells in Thornbury. Luke was sentenced to death but he was reprieved to transportation for life to Australia, her husband and younger son were acquitted.
22 year old John Williams was convicted at the same Assize of a housebreaking in the Forrest of Dean. At the end of his trial he was reported as saying “My Lord, I confess myself guilty of the crimes laid at my charge and many more. I was led into them by bad company and I hope I will be hanged as a warning to others.” Both he and Dinah were “left for execution” as was the terminology of the day while fifteen others were reprieved.
They were “launched into eternity” as hanging was described at this time, at Gloucester Gaol at 1.00 p.m. on Saturday the 7th of September 1816. The “New Drop” gallows was erected over the main gate of the gaol.
An “immense concourse of spectators” had come to watch the event and the prison bell was tolled for some time after they had been “turned off”. I am assuming that the double execution was a routine hanging as no mention is made in any of the reports of any mishaps or of the prisoners struggling. Both bodies were returned to their families and friends for burial.
In 2012 it was discovered that the Australian singer, Kylie Minogue, was a descendant of the Riddiford family.

Comments
Post a Comment
We can do better!