After aunt Sophia buried her face in the chest of the security man, everyone laughed out loud.
"Common, Sophia, it was only, but a cow". Mr Desmond teased
She slowly disengaged herself from the man, and pulled her hair..
"So you think this is funny, right?. That cow could have jumped on any of us". She said.
"Well, thank God, it didn't". The man she embraced said, and the others laughed.
"This is not funny, we almost got into an accident". She insisted.
"You're right". The men nodded, still smiling.
"Yeah, but please, let's quicken our pace. The day is gradually coming to an end". Mr Desmond warned.
He moved back, and made to hold aunt Sophia, but she backed away.
"Don't touch me, don't. You caused all these. Why will you bring me to a place like this?". She quarrelled him.
"Sophia, I never asked you to come with us, remember?". He said.
"What?, So you're not even happy with my presence here?". She asked.
"That's not what I'm saying". He replied.
"Then what are you saying?". She asked.
"Never mind". He said, and turned back.
"And you, soya, you said your house isn't far from the place we parked. So why aren't we there already?". She asked.
"We shall be there soon". I said.
"Sophia, please, let us continue moving". Mr Desmond called out.
"God, if I survive this today, there is nothing in the world that I won't survive". She muttered said, before she moved.
We didn't walk for long, after that, before we came across a group of boys, tending their camel.
"We could mount on the camel, if you don't mind". I said to Mr Desmond.
"Mount on which camel?, Is this a death mission or something?". Aunt Sophia asked.
"We travel by camels here, just the way you do by motorcycles". I explained.
"It's alright, how much is the camel?". Mr Desmond asked.
"I don't know, let's ask". I said.
We went closer to inquire, and after bargaining, we all mounted in pairs. It took a while before the men finally succeeded in getting aunt Sophia on board. I sat behind her.
She didn't stop screaming, even as we started passing people and huts.
The people we passed stopped to take a second look at us. Little children came out in front of their houses to watch us....they really had a good laugh at aunt Sophia, but she didn't care.
"Who are these strangers". I heard one boy asked another.
I smiled, wondering if they didn't recognize their own.
We came across one girl I know from the farm. I was smiling as she approached us, but she didn't return the smile. She kept gazing at us, like she has seen a ghost...she didn't recognize me.
Immediately I sighted the entrance to our compound, I felt a rumble in my stomach, and I asked the camel boy to stop the camel
"What now?, why are we stopping?". Came Mr Desmond's voice from behind.
"That is my house". I said, pointing into the compound ahead.
"So why are we stopping, let's get in immediately". He said.
"I am scared". I answered.
"Scared of what?". he asked
"I don't know what they are going to do to me". I replied.
"You shouldn't be, you left home 6 years ago. They should be happy seeing you home, safe". He said.
"You think so?. What about...".I was saying but was interrupted by aunt Sophia.
"Soya, get me off this animal!". She screamed.
We dismounted, and entered into the compound.
The first person I sighted was my brother's wife, drawing water from the well. As we moved closer, I saw her children, sitting in front of her hut, and eating from a calabash.
"God!, people still live like this?. I heard aunt Sophia say.
.... like what kind of houses have I been seeing here?". She added.
Aunt Sophia's voice made the girl to look our direction, and she didn't take her eyes off us, until we got closer to her.
"Greetings". I said in our language.
She responded, still looking confused.
"You too, Nikhat?. You don't recognize me?". I asked.
Slowly she dropped the fetcher in her hand, and stepped down from the well.
"Zoya?". She called.
I nodded and smiled.
"Zoya!, Zoya!. She screamed, as she jumped on me, almost falling me down.
.... you're alive?". She asked excitedly.
"I am alive". I replied.
Her children too came out, with oil all over their body.
"Look here, your father's sister". She announced to them.
They made attempts to hug me, but I stopped them before they could come really close.
"How are you?". I asked, pelting them on the heads.
"Hei!, Zoya, I am so happy to see you". Nikhat said.
"Me too. I looked around.
...where is everybody?". I asked.
"What!?". I heard aunt Sophia screamed from behind me, and on turning, we found her clothe plastered with oil. It happened that the youngest of the three children has gone to hug her, instead.
I was so embarrassed.
"Come here, Zee, why did you do that?". The mother scolded the boy.
"We are really sorry". I apologized.
"It's okay". Mr Desmond said.
"What exactly is okay?. Aunt Sophia asked.
.... it's okay if I wear dirty clothes?". She added, and started tying up the edge of the gown, murmuring.
"Should I get you water and soap. Nikhat asked, and when she wasn't getting any response, she turned to me.
...why is she not responding?". She asked.
"She didn't even understand what you said. So where is everybody?". I repeated.
"Everybody?. Grandma is inside, maa and paa are not back from the farm yet".
"And my sisters?". I asked.
"Mina has been given out in marriage, and Soni went with your brother to milk the cattle". She replied.
Just then, a young woman came out from one of the huts.
"Who is she?". I asked.
She smiled
"Your brother's new wife". She announced.
"Hey!, Nikhat, why did you leave our visitors standing?". The girl asked, and went ahead to bring out chairs from the kitchen, which she set for us.
"Please, sit". She said, and ran to the kitchen.
Everyone sat down, except me.
"Did you say my parents are still in the farm?". I asked Nikhat.
"Yes, but I will go, and call them now". She replied, and ran out, with her children running behind her
The other girl came out from the kitchen with a calabash of water which she set on the ground, in front of our guests.
"You're welcome". She said.
Aunt Sophia gave a loud sigh.
" Soya?. Do you realize that we came from a very far place?". She asked.
"Yes, I know, my parents will soon be here". I assured them.
"Better, because I, Sophia, will not be spending a night in this godforsaken village?. She stated.
"Just calm down". Her brother pleaded with her.
"Don't you tell me that, now". She warned him.
Just then, Nikhat entered from the backyard with my mother.
I ran and hugged her excitedly.
"Oh! my poor daughter, I thought I have lost you forever". She whispered, with tears in her eyes.
"No, I am alive". I cried, with my eyes closed.
"Zoya!".
I heard that familiar hoarse voice of my father. I opened my eyes, and saw him standing with a cutlass and a basket in his hands.
He looked older than I remembered.
I quietly disengaged from my mother and ran to him. He threw the basket, and held me on the shoulder.
"So you really did not die?". He asked.
For the first time, I saw tears in his eyes, but I was glad they were tears of joy.
"No, I'm alive". I replied.
Just then, my grandma came out from her hut.
"What is going on here?". She asked, with a shaky voice.
"Maa, look at Zoya". Nikhat said excitedly.
I left my father, and went to meet her.
"Zoya, my daughter?". She asked.
"Yes". I held her hand, and led her to a chair, placed close to where our guests were seated.
"My daughter, is this really you?". She asked, stroking my hair.
"Yes". I replied.
She held me close for a while, muttering something with tears in her eyes.
"May our God be praised". She finally said, with her face raised onto heaven.
"So where have you been, and who are these people with you?". She asked.
"Yes, my daughter, who did you come with?". My father added, coming closer, with the matchet, still in his hand..
Typing 21...
#Story From Joy Ifunanya's story room.

Comments
Post a Comment
We can do better!