Skip to main content

left pic is active addiction at 12 yrs old/right is after finding sobriety and reclaiming my culture ❤


* left pic is active addiction at 12 yrs old/right is after finding sobriety and reclaiming my culture ❤

Growing up I watched my people at the side of the road, passed out drunk, drinking mouthwash and hairspray. 😔 The question was always there. Why? If you visit any of the poorest communities/resource centre's (homeless shelters, detox centre's, etc) in Winnipeg you will see that they are occupied by 95% Indigenous Peoples. An estimated 85 - 90% of people incarcerated are Indigenous. 95% of the children in care are Indigenous. I remember finding a needle when I lived in the projects as a kid, poking my baby brother in the arm with it while we were playing doctor. All throughout my life I watched 'those' native people, never understanding. The educational institution only taught me the colonizers perspective - they came here and brought cars, buildings, jobs, doctors. They brought us so many amazing things. So why are native people so broken? 

I internalized that pain and became one of 'them'. Deep down I felt like I guess that was my destiny, I was the only native kid in my class, (I lived in the city of Winnipeg but spent much of my time on my rez as a kid) the only one who had a life full of trauma, sexual abuse, suicidal ideation by the age of 10.💔 & It wasn't just me that hated my skin. Grown ass wh*te men would circle the block calling me a "dirty f%*%in indian" and yelling at me to "go back to the rez YOU DONT BELONG HERE" when I was walking to the park as a kid - numerous attempts at kidnapping, once in broad daylight on a busy street, and not a single person stopped to help as these wh*te men grabbed my arms and tried to drag me into their vehicle in Winnipeg. 😣😣😣

The self hatred escalated and by 12 I was drinking vanilla extract to get drunk, kissing people's shoes for money, dealing drugs, robbing people, passing out outside, doing everything I had to do to numb the pain away. It was easier than facing it - after all, having guns pointed at your face and being sexually assaulted wasn't a big deal on the rez. Actually, it was just a big fun game to the boys. They used their hands as weapons to invade the most sacred parts of my body and many, many others. Abusers and victims by the age of 7 - 10. And everywhere I looked; my family members, friends I met, all of us with brown skin seemed to have it so much worse. My story was not unusual or uncommon, in fact that and much worse has happened to many girls. The first time I heard of a girl being sexually exploited it was told to me as a 'funny' joke when I was 11 - even though it was really happening - by one of the boys. She was only 13. So why would I complain? Because I was sexually assaulted, raped numerous times for 'fun' and had guns pointed in my face? But there were so many other girls going through so much worse. So I shut my mouth and drowned my sorrow in the safety of the booze bottle, pill bottle, and literally anything else I could get my hands on. I wanted to be as far away from reality as I could, and I was, for a very long time.

My child and teenage life was filled with living and dying and living again, psychosis and desperation and shameful deeds that would haunt me for many, many years. 

Taken into the arms of the Grandmothers and Creator; then back to this Hell that people called Life again. Taking 31 pills in a day to try to kill myself, only to survive another day. My Kookum (paternal grandmother), who I lived with, and my family held me and rocked me with tears in their eyes, getting up every 30 minutes to check my breathing and make sure I didn't die in my sleep. I cried when I lived... and yet she cried with gratitude that I had survived. 

Why? 

I saw no goodness, nothing worthy of love or happiness when i looked in the mirror. All I saw was a junkie, destined to a life of chaos and torture the moment I was birthed. People like me did not come from 'Heaven'; we were sins, we were the product of disgrace, weak and worthless. We were the scum of the Earth. Unwanted, touched, invaded, beaten and traumatized. But my Kookum never, ever gave up on me.

I went back to school for my mature student status at 17, to the Aboriginal community campus. It was a strictly Indigenous led school with programming, all my teachers (but 1) were native. One day we were instructed to do a project on residential school. I had no idea what that was (I was 18 at the time); and I had no idea that all of my questions were soon to be answered. 

My teacher told us to ask our families and request stories from our grandparents if they were willing; and to seek others stories.

For the first time, my maternal grandmother sat with me and shared her story of horrors worse than any scary movie I had ever seen. Watching a child possibly beaten to death at age 7 for saying a word in her language; being experimented on by doctors, electrocuted, unable to leave her bed at 10 years old. Stories that chilled me right to the bone. I couldn't understand how this could have happened, why were we not taught these things in school? If I hadn't attended a strictly Indigenous school program I would have learned what the other schools were teaching - that residential school was a SAFE place for our kids to go and learn, that we went voluntarily, that they helped us to SUCCEED.🤮🤮🤮 

NOT the Stories of horror. Screaming children being beaten to death by "men and women of God" 🚫
That every school had a place where they put the bodies of babies born from rape by the priests. That babies were burned to death, and some native children were responsible for handling the bones and bodies of those babies. 😩
That the sexual abuse rate was as high as 99% in some schools.😢
That the children were given numbers instead of names; branded like cattle; starved - and that THAT is how Canada got its 'FOOD GUIDE'. By starving native BABIES to death. WHAT. THE. F&*K!? 😩😢😡

The moment I began seeking the Truth; reading stories from others survivors and the true history - was the moment everything in life FINALLY made sense. My grandmother was able to speak, through all the horrific things she endured. But there were tens of thousands who couldn't. The ones who were lucky enough to survive to go back home - many of them could NOT speak. They had needles stuck in their tongues when they spoke.🗣 They were children who had never received a hug, a touch, or heard "I love you" after the age of 3 when they were forced to leave their homes, sometimes at gun point. 😥 Many of them didn't pass on the language, for fear that when their children were taken, they would be beaten or murdered for speaking it. 

I educated myself and learned, and I finally understood. Abusers at the age of 7-10, they learned this behaviour from the ones who's darkness followed them back home and spread like wildfire through our communities, stealing the purity from children, turning sex into a game before they could even read; when in any other part of Canada, those children would be watching barney on TV. ☹

My grandma was never one of those people, nor was my Kookum. 

But other kids in my community - their parents/grandparents had gone to residential school and many of them could not heal.💔 They did not know how to love. Sexual abuse was a game and all the young boys would join in; from as young as 6 or 7. The word 'rape' was thrown around as if they were talking about football. But nothing ever happened to those rapists. They continued to harm and injur and kill our own children by stealing their purity - and ultimately leading those kids to suicide, overdose and murder. 

"The colonizers no longer had to carry the blood of our children on their hands; because the children the schools had killed the Indian in, did it for them."
- "Kill the Indian in the child", author Elise Fontenaille

When I FINALLY learned the truth.. when I passed my relatives on the streets, it was no longer "them". It was US. MY people. OUR people. 💔 That was me, that could have been my mother, my children. That could have been any one of my native brothers and sisters.

The Indigenous people you pass, drinking mouthwash on the street are the products of these systems. The ones who lived through the schools, but could not heal from what happened to them. The kids you see huffing, prostituting, etc. Those are the children who suffered tremendous pain and horrific abuse by family, community members, and random racists in the city.. I've heard countless stories of girls who escaped abduction, or were sexually exploited for a long time before they could escape. Those children turned to the only thing they could do to survive. 

I realized that my people are NOT weak. The fact that we are even ALIVE is a testimony to our strength. You wouldn't believe the horrific atrocities that occurred at these schools; if they choose to drink those memories away, who tf are me or you to judge? Smelling burning flesh of babies at the age of 8 does something to a person that you and I can't even PRETEND we could EVER understand ‼️

The last school closed in 1998. It could have been me. It could have been my siblings. There are people in their 30s alive today who attended these institutions of genocide. 

The first time I learned a word in my language I was 20.
The first time I participated in Traditional ceremony, I had to look long and hard for it, and I was an adult already.
I gave up alcohol and drugs forever at 22, and the strength of Creator & love from my Kookum and family has allowed me to walk this beautiful Red Road, reclaiming our culture, smudging my babies every night, drumming ceremonial songs. Feasting the spirits of our loved ones, sitting in the sweat lodge to deal with my grief when I lose another friend or family member to suicide or overdose. Warrior dance, where I can fast and pray and offer myself to Creator; giving my pain to her, and releasing my anger and sadness in a healthy way.🙏🏾 All my children know is protection, safety, love and patience. They do not know screaming and yelling, domestic violence, they do not know fear. They will never experience what I, and hundreds of thousands of others, had to.

I dont use my fists in anger anymore. I don't use my voice in anger. My children grow up knowing only of love, sobriety, and culture. ❤ I lost my dear sister along the way in a car accident, my best friend to suicide, and the most honourable woman I knew - the one who truly saved my life.. my beautiful kookum to cancer. I continue on in their honour, carrying their teachings and all the beauty they brought to me in their lives. They are a part of my essence; my heart beats in their memory and I will cherish them until the moment my breath stops, and my Journey to the other side begins. 

Now I can sing my pain out with the drum; meditate while picking my medicines. I can do all of the things that were outlawed, and reclaim my culture in any way I can, in honour of the hundreds of thousands of children who couldn't. 🚫

The aim of the schools was to kill the Indian in the child. And for many of our people, they succeeded. I practice my culture in honour of all those children who had every part of their life stripped, forced to adopt another culture for fear of death, abuse, and more. I honour my ancestors by bringing back what the schools tried to kill.

Inter-generational trauma is real. It affects our children today. You can see the results of this genocide driving down main street; the adults who lived; but for many, the Indian within them did not survive. 😢

I am 6 years sober now and I am still learning. I have a long, long, long way to go. I have sat in 100s of lodges, had 100s of feasts, fasted several times, offered my body at the Warrior dance twice. But my healing journey has only begun. ❤

I am no longer ashamed of the scars my body carries. I am proud of my peoples resiliency and I am proud to be Indigenous. I am proud of my relatives, yes, my houseless relatives too. We are ALL deserving of love and respect and kindness. ❤🙏🏾

I hope if there's anything you take from my story (which is just one of thousands exactly like mine or much worse); I hope you carry kindness in your heart when you see our relatives on the street and understand why things are the way they are. I hope you carry compassion in your spirit, and a better understanding of how deep this trauma has ran; through our blood for over a hundred years. I hope instead of seeing 'drug addicts' and 'alcoholics', you see 'SURVIVORS'. 

I hope you do your part to help us create real and lasting change. An apology means nothing unless it is followed by ACTION ‼️ CHANGE THE HISTORY BOOKS TO ACCURATELY REPRESENT THE TRUTH OF WHAT CANADA - AND THE CHURCH - HAVE DONE TO OUR CHILDREN! 

Do not pity us. Do not look down on us. See us for the resilient peoples we are, and always have been. A proud, strong people, who are healing from atrocities far beyond what MOST of Canada has EVER had to face.

WE are the children of inter-generational trauma; the children of the children who survived GENOCIDE. WE ARE SURVIVORS 💪🏾 FIGHTERS👊🏾 WARRIORS🙌🏾 & PROTECTORS. & WE WILL DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO EDUCATE AND PROTECT ALL OF OUR CHILDREN ACROSS TURTLE ISLAND‼️‼️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The capture of brave Russian officer Rosinski

The capture of brave Russian officer Rosinski This is a shocking image and I apologize in advance for sharing it, but here’s one that truly got to me… in Belarus, 1918, after WWI had already ended, the brave Russian officer Rosinski was captured by the Bolsheviks. The Bolsheviks tortured the captain, likely to get information out of the man, which he bravely refused to give. After that, they simply continued with the torture out of some sick sense of innate cruelty. He was ‘the enemy’ and he was at their mercy, so they brutally murdered their captive. The brave captain was emasculated. And anally impaled on a tree branch. All this while still alive. Alfred Savoir, the man who published the picture and was an eye witness to the death of the brave military officer, described "M. B.", who ordered this atrocity, thus: I knew him not long ago; he was a charming teenager with an ironic wit and joker. He was rubbed with French culture, he admired the novels of Barres and he quot...

15 Most Brutal Rape Punishments Around The World.

15 Most Brutal Rape Punishments Around The World. Rape is considered the most offensive crime in every society. Rape victims are often looked down in the society and had to suffer mental torture without any fault of her/him. This horrific impact of physical and mental assault often ruin the life of a victim. Different governments across the globe came up with strong laws against sexual assault to make their country a safer place for their citizen and to make sure no one who indulged in this heinous crime could roam free. Here are the most brutal rape punishments of different countries around the world. In China, The meritocratic leadership punishes the rapist straight away with a death sentence and in some scenarios rapist are also punished by the mutilation of their genitals. 2. Iran In Iran, the rapist is either hanged or shot to death in public. Sometimes the guilty escapes the death penalty by the premission from the victim but is still liable for 100 lashes or life imprisonm...

CLIFFORD HOYT: THE MAN WHO HAS SEEN HELL

CLIFFORD HOYT: THE MAN WHO HAS SEEN HELL I immediately make a premise. Many Paranormal groups report news similar to the one I am about to publish, about a certain Harry Hoyt, aged 31, who died in 1999 a few days after having an accident from which he woke up saying he saw Hell (and they put a scene from the movie “Hellraiser 2” as a photo). Well, what I found in my research is very different, although the common thread is the same. So it's up to you to decide which version is the right one (assuming one of the two is true). Let's go to the facts. The protagonist is Clifford Hoyt (not Harry: Harry Hyot is an American filmmaker to me), 31 who suffered serious injuries in a car accident due to icy asphalt in 1999, on his way home after a long day at work in Maryland. . He remained in a coma for a few hours and when he regained consciousness, he revealed to the nurse that he was looking after him that he had been sucked into a vortex that led him straight to Hell. He told of the p...

After Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Tragedy and Humiliation.

After Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Tragedy and Humiliation.  U.S. and Australian brutalisation of women on the Japanese mainland.   (Excerpt From Pages 66-69) All references are provided in the book itself.  “There was a far darker side to the U.S. and allied occupation of Japan, one which is little mentioned in the vast majority of histories – American or otherwise. When Japan surrendered in August 1945, mass rapes by occupying forces were expected… [despite setting up of a comfort women which recruited or otherwise trafficked desperate women to brothels] such crimes were still common and several of them were extremely brutal and resulted in the deaths of the victims. Political science professor Eiji Takemae wrote regard- ing the conduct of American soldiers occupying Japan: ‘U.S. troops comported themselves like conquerors, especially in the early weeks and months of occupation. Misbehavior ranged from black-marketeering, petty theft, reckless driving and disorderly con...

During World War II, millions of people were sent to concentration camps, including women.

During World War II, millions of people were sent to concentration camps, including women. Women in concentration camps were subjected to brutal treatment and often faced more severe conditions than their male counterparts. The conditions in the camps were inhumane, and women were often subjected to forced labor, starvation, and medical experiments. Women were treated differently in concentration camps than men. They were often separated from their families, forced to perform hard labor, and subjected to sexual abuse. Women who were pregnant were also subjected to harsh conditions and medical experimentation. Many women were killed, either as part of the genocide or because they were deemed too weak to continue working. One of the most notorious concentration camps where women were held was Auschwitz-Birkenau. There, women were subjected to forced labor, starvation, and medical experimentation. Many were killed in gas chambers or through other forms of execution. The camp was designe...

Frank Discussion Of Rape And Other Atrocities Committed During War.

WARNING! PHOTO BELOW ARE NOT MET FOR THE WEAK HEART. Please note: The following subject matter is of immense importance, but could be difficult to read. There is a Frank Discussion Of Rape And Other Atrocities Committed During War. After entering a large museum in one of the world’s most ancient cities and the former capital of the Chinese empire, Nanking—or Nanjing as it’s known today—my 18-year-old daughter Sophia and I walked over a glass walkway that allowed us to look down 10 feet of earth and observe an ancient footpath. Lights highlighted the ground under the glass while the room we were in was dark.  To our right hung numerous photographs on a black wall showing Japanese soldiers slaughtering Chinese citizens in December 1937 revealed by individual lights, the types one sees on art museum paintings. Dead babies, severed heads, piles of bodies on Yangtze River banks, and helpless prisoners of war were all documented there by photographs taken by the perpetrators themselve...

"Wooden Horse or Spanish Donkey"

"Wooden Horse or Spanish Donkey"  The wooden horse, or Spanish donkey, was an extremely painful and gruesome medieval torture device.  It was first used by the Holy Inquisition in France and then in Spain and Germany, and then migrated to the Americas, gaining prominence during the colonial period.  The main design was the same wherever it was used.  It was a triangular wooden box with a very sharp top end (ie where the horse's spine would be).  The apparatus was constructed of wood, with planks nailed together to form a long, tapered ridge, which would serve as the horse's back.  These were supported by four legs attached to a bracket, about 6 or 7 feet (1.8 to 2.1 metres) high, with wheels fitted to the bottom of the legs so that the entire device could roll across the ground.  A head and tail would be attached to make the torture device look like an almost “fun” huge wooden horse.  The defendant would be mounted on the horse, with ankle weights...

The Grabenpanzer

The Grabenpanzer The Grabenpanzer, or Sappenpanzer (trench armor), also called lobster armor, was a German-made steel fist used as personal body armor during the “Great War.” The Grabenpanzer consists of four pieces of articulated steel: a large chest plate and three other plates that cover the user's abdomen and groin. The different plates were connected with canvas straps. Each plate also had a thick felt block inside to silence the sound of steel plates hitting. The armor divided into separate parts allowed the user to be more flexible. The Grabenpanzer weighed between 9 and 11 kg depending on the model and was generally combined with a thick steel front plate for the user’s Stahlhelm (helmet), which added even more weight to the soldier. For this very reason, the Grabenpanzer was not produced for assault troops, but for machine gun teams and soldiers in sentimental service, operating in static positions, where they were highly exposed and unprotected against an enemy rifleman. ...

Masha Bruskina.

Masha Bruskina. Masha Bruskina was a Russian teenage female partisan. She was a 17 year old Jewish high school graduate and was the first teenage girl to be publicly hanged by the Nazis in Belorussia (Belarus), since the German invasion of Soviet Union on the 22nd of June 1941.  Her execution and that of the two men hanged with her took place on the 26th of October 1941 in the city of Minsk. In the photos of her, you will see that she has blond hair, but her natural colour was dark. She dyed her hair when she started to work for the underground. Witnesses to her hanging, testified that Masha struggled hard and lost control of her bladder and bowels.  After hanging for three days, she and the men were taken down and only when her body was traditionally washed before her burial by local people and members of her family, did her dark hair show up. She worked as a nurse in a military hospital and was a member of an underground cell which...

Rubin Stacey, lynched victim, hanging from a tree

Rubin Stacey, lynched victim, hanging from a tree, surrounded by onlookers, including girls, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Rubin Stacy, 37 was a homeless tenant farmer who knocked on a white woman's door (Marion Jones) – she screamed, and he was arrested.  As he was being led to jail by six deputies, a mob of about 100 overpowered them – ran their car off the road, and lynched him in sight of Marion's house, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  Marion claimed she offered him a drink of water, but he tried to assault her with a knife, which she later recanted. A photo of the lynching was sent to President F.D.  Roosevelt to persuade him to support the Costigan-Wagner Act which would bring federal prosecution to any law enforcement officers who failed to exercise their responsibilities during a lynching incident.  - Roosevelt refused to support the bill claiming he would lose Southern votes in the next election.