THE VOICE
I have heard many times that medical personnel do hear incoherent voices and see some dead people, but I never believed it.
My team just finished a kidney transplant and the patient didn't make it. The donour survived.
It was really painful. What people do not know is that beyond being a doctor, we are also human.
We feel the pains of losing patients as much as their families do, too. We just don't show it.
The most painful ones are those we thought we've got everything right and all of a sudden, something happened, and before you know what is happening they are gone.
Many times in our closet, we cry for those lost souls. We cry for their families.
We may appear strong to you but beyond that smiling face or strong courageous and confident doctor, is a very gentle person that breaks down when you are not there.
The thing is, losing a patient is a failure in one's job. Just that, we don't dwell much on it. There is none we don't give our best to save.
Don't that we don't really give much attention to, it's based on their medical condition. We believe in the tests and reports at our disposal. That does not mean we negate the fact that miracles do happen.
“Please, one more try.”
I heard incoherently as I sat down in my car. Yes, it was late, but voices like that are rare. I thought it was one of the nurses.
Nurse Remi is a close pal. She lives close to my house. But the voice doesn't sound like hers.
After looking around and finding no one talking, I drove out of the car park and zoomed home.
My mind went back to the patient and I couldn't believe we lost him. Everything was in order. I soon took it as one of those losses when I couldn't pinpoint what really went wrong.
“Please, one more try.”
The voice came again as I was driving into my house. Suddenly, I felt someone was sitting behind me. I quickly turned but didn't see anybody.
I rushed out of my car, checked my boot, and checked the back seat very well.
I went inside my room and there it became evident that someone was following me.
I was about to open the fridge when I saw the shadow of someone. I paused and turned with speed. It was gone.
“My family will suffer if I die.”
The voice this time wasn't as calm as I anticipated, it came with anger. It slammed the door of my fridge.
I screamed and rushed to my couch. I became terrified.
“I know you are not happy about your life. I know you are not happy about the way things are going in your relationship. But none matters now. If I die, my kids will be tossed around like beggars and made to suffer in the hands of my relatives. I am not here to scare you, but you have got to save me. Just one try, I might survive this. The time is ticking.”
This time it was more audible. I had goosebumps all over my body as I cried uncontrollably. Why did the fellow choose to torment me like this?
“I am not God. I have tried all my best. Please go!!”
I cried out. There was no one at home with me. Then I felt the person was behind me. I froze.
“I don't want to die. For those kids' sake. They have suffered too much already. Things are just about to turn around for them. Please help me.”
The voice came too close to my ear. I froze. This is the closest I have experienced with a Ghost.
I trembled. I was shaking, sweating and crying at the same time.
Why he decided to come to me baffles me. I picked up my phone while pressing it, but it seems the phone too was scared. I looked around and was scared I was losing my mind. My mental and emotional health has just been punctured by this event.
“It's freezing here. I don't want to die. Please!!!”
The voice said. Immediately, there was a rushy wind blowing in my room for almost thirty seconds.
I tried painting, but it didn't work. I picked up the phone again. This time it works. I called my team to meet me in the hospital in 20mins.
Lo and behold, getting to the morgue, I found the body of the patient still warm after four or three hours.
Aside from that, I could feel a staggering push of his heart. The struggling flow of blood within his vein. He has a pulse.
My team members wouldn't believe me when I told them about my encounter with the man's ghost in the last 1hr/20mins.
We moved him to the theatre and after three hours, we were exhausted.
“At least you tried. Maybe this is how I am meant to end it. Thank you.”
The voice came so calm this time. It was a sound of disappointment. Of pain and agony.
“No!! I am not giving up on you!! You told me you don't want to go, and right now is not the time to give up. Give me a few more minutes and I will try again.”
I screamed. I wasn't sure what I was going to tell the resting crew. But they were looking at me, crying uncontrollably and touching the man's body.
“Fight back. It is your life. Fight for those kids. If you don't want to leave them, then fight and get your life back. Please don't give up. For the sake of your children. Please help me.”
I cried softly into his ears. I felt his fingers move. The team lead soon called me to step outside for a moment.
I went to my office and I couldn't help but pray. I have never been this emotional for a patient in my life.
I made countless promises to God to save the man. I cried, I screamed and sang to Him. It was a horrific time for me.
After an hour, the team came to my office. They were looking so exhausted and worn out. Their faces weren't appealing.
“We don't know what happened in your house. Likewise, we have no idea what happened there. We equally don't know why you brought us back and you are acting weird. The patient is not ready to give up, either. We are glad to tell you that a miracle happened there. Dr Oluchi, you just saved a man's life. Congratulations.”
The team leader said. I didn't even wait for her to land before I jumped on them.
It was the best thing that has ever happened to me in this profession. The team lead said they were shocked when the heart pumps out some blood by itself after being static for four hours. It was a miracle.
A week later, he was discharged and reunited with his family.
That single encounter changed my perspective about life. I cherished every meeting and the friends around me more.
The people who truly cared about you will always go the extra length to put a smile on your face.
When you see a nurse or a doctor today, hug them. They deserve all the love you can give.
Shout out to all the beautiful doctors and nurses. We appreciate your efforts in saving lives.
My name is © Amusan Tolulope Writes, and I am an impeccable writer.

Comments
Post a Comment
We can do better!