Victor Frankl’s ‘Man’s Search for Meaning’ is arguably the most profound book of the twentieth century.
It documents Frankl’s struggle for survival in Nazi concentration camps.
In the book, Frankl tells this story:
‘A rich and mighty Persian once walked in his garden with one of his servants. The servant cried that he had just encountered Death, who had threatened him. He begged his master to give him his fastest horse so that he could make haste and flee to Teheran, which he could reach that same evening. The master consented and the servant galloped off on the horse. On returning to his house the master himself met Death, and questioned him, “Why did you terrify and threaten my servant?” “I did not threaten him; I only showed surprise in still finding him here when I planned to meet him tonight in Teheran,” said Death.
As compelling as Frankl’s story is, I’ve always struggled to make sense of it.
So, I thought I’d have ‘a dip at it’, fittingly on New Year’s Eve, and in 30 words or less:
‘Our fate is inescapable, and we’ll inevitably meet it even while trying to avoid it. But what’s important is choosing our attitude and behaviour toward those things that can’t be changed.’
I’m guessing it’s much easier said than done.
But here goes!
What’s your take on the parable?
Photo image: ‘The Kiss of Death’ sculpture located in Barcelona’s Poblenou Cemetery.
https://scottbennettwriter.com/

Comments
Post a Comment
We can do better!